On March 23, 2020
If you have a previous medical history, how worried you should be?
We are aware that this is a worrying time for everyone, especially if you have an existing health problems.
Most of the people with Coronavirus (Covid 19) infection will have mild symptoms. However, people with chronic illness can get seriously ill with it. Hence, prevention is the best strategy!
If you have any of the following conditions then you are at high risk.
- More than 60 years of age
- High blood pressure
- Coronary artery disease such as previous heart attack, stent or coronary bypass operation in the past. Congenital heart disease like hole in the heart.
- Lung disease like asthma, COPD
- Chronic kidney disease
- Stroke [ Paralysis]
- Transplant patients
What should I do to avoid coronavirus?
Everyone needs to prevent themselves from contracting Covid 19 Corona virus infection. It includes young healthy individuals as well as those at high risk as mentioned above.
Health experts and government has issued advise on protective measures.
Social distancing for everyone is the key. Complete lockdown of cities, towns and villages and stopping all activities except emergencies is the best way of reducing transmission of the disease across population. This is likely to be done for few days to weeks depending upon the situation. News media and government website will update us every day.
What are the protective measures one can do to reduce the risk of corona virus infection?
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 40-60 seconds
- Cover your mouth and nose with handkerchief or tissue paper or your sleeve when you cough or sneeze, wear a mask.
- Bin the tissue paper immediately and wash your hands afterwards.
- Avoid people who cough, sneeze or who are currently unwell with flu like
- Use hand sanitizer.
- It is important to continue all your routine medication as prescribed by your doctor.